I Love Airports!

I often here people complain about connections and waiting for long hours in the airport terminal. Where I can understand that when you are tired, it gets old fast, I also think it can be quite enjoyable. The experience can be what ever you make it!


The airport is the one place where I don't mind being surrounded by people. In fact I really enjoy it. I like seeing families hustling to get the kids together and seeing some of the strange things people are trying to check in on to the airplane. I like wondering where people are going and if they often travel.  Although I think you should be cautious when you go to the airport, watching your belongings and paying attention to what you are doing, I see no reason why one can't chat with people at your boarding gate or strike up a conversation with someone looking at the same duty free display as you. I think you also find out how many of us are so similar in this big world. I'll never forget when I was travelling somewhere and I asked a lady to take a picture of me in front of a replica of a Korean actor, and she looked at her husband then asked me to do the same. We had a bit of a chuckle over it. Although I'll never see that lady again the interaction made me happy.



A lot of travellers think that hanging around the airport can be rather boring, and in many cases this can be true, but if you are at the right airport you can really enjoy yourself while you wait for your connection. So far my favourite airports have been Kuala Lumpur International airport, and of course Inchon international airport. I'm somebody who likes to be way early when I have a flight. I don't want there to be any chance for missing my flight if there is a delay or mix-up. So usually when I arrive at ICN (Incheon Airport) I have a lot of time to kill. I could spend hours looking around some duty free shops. I love looking at make-up and the things Korea is trying to market to tourists (with prices way higher than usual; unless I really need something I don't often buy anything. In ICN you can also freshen up if you wish.  There are showers available to passengers which, correct me if I'm wrong,  are free. There is also free WiFi everywhere in the airport so it is convenient for travellers who want to watch movies or TV shows while they wait.  At KLIA ( Kuala Lumpur airport) there is a mini rain forest in one of the terminals that you can walk through.



The next thing I like when I have to spend time in the airport is the food! Although it is usually overpriced, I think its a good way to sample local food if you are just on a connection. With the exception of a few airports in China, I've never been disappointed.  Most airports have a variety of different cuisines, including fast food places and cafes.  Its really hard to not find something you like, in my opinion.


The next time you find yourself on a layover, try not to feel so down about it and make the most of the time. Be prepared with things to do if there AREN'T shops and maybe download books or movies for the rare event that there is no wifi. If it is your only way of enjoying the connecting airports country then try some food and check out the stuff they have going on. Its much better than sitting in a chair for X amount of hours and moping about your layover.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

29 Things I've Learned in 29 Years

Why I Prefer Travelling Alone (And Why Everyone Should Try It)

I Have Come to LOVE (and crave) Working Out