I Have Come to LOVE (and crave) Working Out

We are told throughout our lives from the time we are kids that exercise is important to stay healthy. We know it, even if we don't all like it. Everyone has their own "thing" and exercise, fitness and sports definitely isn't it for everyone. I used to be one of those people, but in the last few years my mind has totally shifted and it has become one of the most important things in my life. 

When I was young I was somewhat active, as many children are, but as a teenager and even as a university-going young adult, I was very lazy and didn't care that much about fitness, and felt it wasn't necessary. I was still young and I felt as though I didn't really need it and that since I was still young I wouldn't gain weight really if I disregarded my diet as well. When I looked in the mirror I never saw myself gaining weight (but I was), and I never thought about the fact that my clothes were getting tighter. I was going to the gym for a class here and there but I didn't feel like it was essential. It wasn't until my senior year of university when a loved one pointed out very blatantly, "Kristen you are getting fat', that I started to even realize it. Even after moving out of uni dorms into my own place where I could make my own healthy meals, I didn't do so. I snacked on sweets and such all the time. I did very "nothing" workouts that did barely anything for me. 

When I came to South Korea I joined Taekwondo. Not exactly for the exercise aspect of it, but more for the cultural bit. A few months into going to class 5 nights a week in combination with being not exposed to as much junk food (that I liked at the time), I started to lose some weight and see myself getting thinner and my clothes getting loser. I went down in sizes.

Half way or so into that first year in Korea I decided to do Shaun T's Insanity for a harder workout. I did it usually before taekwondo and I saw myself losing even more weight and I started hearing it from other people too. After a year or so of doing taekwondo I felt I needed something a bit more. Although it was a good workout for a beginner, the class constantly stopped for what ever reason causing my body and muscles to become cool and I was starting to lose the effect. 




I quit taekwondo and started just working out at home to things like Insanity and other workout programs. I felt a new commitment to fitness. I started investing things and methods over time for bettering my workouts, and realized my diet also needed to change; that has always seemed to take longer to get on track for me. But I felt like being able to motivate myself to workout on my own made me feel very strong on the inside too. I started to realize how important fitness was becoming to me. 

A few years into me living in Korea is when my anxiety started and got to its high point. Between cultural annoyances, work issues and a few other things, I couldn't deal with life. This was 2014. This was also the year I was introduced to/ found Blogilates. Blogilates is a pilates Youtube channel and brand created by pilates instructor Cassey Ho. Its pilates but its also a dance on the mat, combined with some cardio, H.I.I.T. training and other compound exercises. She also has a program called P.I.I.T.28 (Pilates Intense Interval Training) which is a combo of HIIT and pilates moves.  




Doing these workouts and learning to focus on my fitness became my meditation when I was stressed or upset. When I workout in any way, I must focus on my body, on my breathing and on not falling all over the place. These days when I haven't gotten a chance to workout in a few days, for what ever reason, I get antsy to do so. It has become something I crave and I always feel like I want to challenge and improve myself, for myself. Fitness has become so important to me, and so healing that I want to make it my career. I've decided that I want to become certified in teaching POP Pilates (the Blogilates style pilates). I want to be able to do something I love everyday, as well as helping others feel its healing powers, like I do. 

I think its a little bit interesting when people say to me "Oh I'm not really into fitness" and I think it is because sometimes people have a certain idea of what "fitness" is...or maybe because they feel like they can't, but it is not just one form of exercise. Sure, it can be going to the gym and lifting weights, but it can also be sports, or swimming or hiking. It can be yoga, or dancing or cycling. Its just what ever gets your body moving, in my opinion. 

Something that gives me a lot of joy is 2 things actually. The first is when people say to me, "Oh I don't know how you do it, you're so motivated and you're doing so well!" That makes me feel so proud and it lets me know that all my hard work is paying off and showing. The second thing is when people ask me advice on HOW to stay motivated and ask me for fitness tips and such. I have never considered myself a professional so it baffled me at first that anyone would seek that from me, but then was a huge confidence boost. This motivated me even more, and especially cemented the idea that I wanted to get into a fitness profession. 



I now feel like I am in the best shape of my life, on the inside and out. I'm still working on my anxiety but this is helping so much. I am currently working out 4-5 days a week, and eating healthy about 80% of the time. I don't feel the need to restrict myself so much right now as I don't currently have a specific fitness goal, though I do want to make one soon. If you are considering starting at the gym, going to a class, joining a team and are waiting for the perfect time, that time is NOW. There will never be a perfect time. It is a mental game to start and push yourself. You have to WANT to do it. And focus on WHY you want to do it as well. Remember that it takes time. You are not going to see results after working out and eating healthy for one day...or even one week..sometimes one month...but it will come if you are consistent and dedicated.   That is all for me this time.  I hope you can find the joy in fitness and being healthy that I do. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

29 Things I've Learned in 29 Years

Why I Prefer Travelling Alone (And Why Everyone Should Try It)