Why I Prefer Travelling Alone (And Why Everyone Should Try It)

During my time living abroad, I've had a few opportunities to travel around to nearby countries. A big reason for moving to South Korea was so that I could travel to new places. At that time the idea of travelling alone was so scary and I thought what could be more dangerous or boring. My first vacation while in Korea was back home to Canada because I didn't have anyone to go on vacation with at the time. I realise now that it can be the complete opposite of what I though, and now don't want to travel any other way.

Firstly, I have found that I am much more likely to make new friends when I am travelling alone. When you are travelling with a friend, you might feel like you don't really need to make friends. You came together and you plan to hang out together. You don't have to worry about eating alone or who is going to take pictures of you by that cool thing. When you travel alone, as fun as it may be to take selfies and food pics, its nice to have some company when doing some things. I've met such cool people in hostels during my travels who may have only joined me for a drink/bite/sightseeing thing, but it was so nice to share that experience.  

I am signed up on Couchsurfing, which is a community where you basically provide, and are provided with a place to stay for free.  The deal is if you stay with someone you should also let them stay with you sometime, if you have the means to accommodate them. I've only STAYED with someone once (it was an amazing experience) but I've also used the site to find tour groups,to make friends and just for finding someone to hang out. If it weren't for using this site and heading to these places on my own, I may not have met so many awesome people.  

www.couchsurfing.com


Not a link, just a photo. 

When you travel alone you also don't have anything or anybody holding you back from places you want to see or go to eat, which is a problem that may occur when travelling with friends. Someone doesn't like seafood, someone wants to see animals, somebody just wants to lie on the beach. Those things are all cool but when a disagreement or argument occurs you maybe left feeling disappointed that you missed out on something, and may end up feeling bad about the experience in some way.  When you travel alone you don't have to worry about it. You go where you want, when you want, on your own time and the only thing that may stop you is how much money is left in your wallet. 


I think for many women the issue of safety is likely a huge worry when they think about travelling alone. What if something happens? What if I run into some bad people? What it my shit gets stolen? Should I put myself in that situation?   Where I do think that these are of course legitimate concerns, there are places women can travel alone that are safer than others.  Women considering travelling alone should definitely make sure to do their research but places like Sweden, Denmark, Singapore, New Zealand and many more, have been repeatedly showing up in the "Top safest places for solo women travellers" lists. I think anyone should use caution while travelling alone. Always keep an eye on your stuff, always keep your valuables hidden, tell loved ones where you are going, and take care of yourself.

Check out some more places that are pretty safe to travel here.

  •  http://www.vagabomb.com/of-the-Safest-Countries-in-the-World-for-Solo-Female-Travellers/

Another reason I think travelling alone is really good is because, (Are you ready for this cliché?), its a great way to find yourself.... It really is!  The more time you spend alone with yourself, the more you will learn things about yourself that you may not have realised. When you travel by yourself, you have to trust yourself and your instincts, you have to find your hotel, and especially if you are on a longer vacation you are going to have to learn to be your own friend for sometime. I think this is a great thing. We too often rely on others to be the friend we need. We want someone to talk to, to depend on, to share things with. Use your solo beach time to reflect on your day, your week, how you reacted to something, etc. I've found that travelling alone has helped me sort out a lot of my anxiety and I hope to continue on this path. I believe taking this time to ourselves is important for our personal development. 




If you have yet to experience the joys of travelling alone, I highly recommend that you give it a try. Even if its just a weekend to another city near you. Embrace being alone, do the things you want to do, relax. Or adventure around! You see the beauty?? You will be able to do virtually what ever you want. Well within the law of course ;) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

29 Things I've Learned in 29 Years

I Have Come to LOVE (and crave) Working Out