My 2015 Year in Review
As a new month begins, so does a new year. The last sun of 2015 has set and the first of 2016 has risen, making me (as well as other people all over the globe) reflect on the year that has just passed and start to prepare for a new one. What have I done? What did I learn? What will I do differently? How will I grow?
2015 had a quite a few hurdles and in the end I feel like although I learned a lot, it was not my best year. I've said many times this year (though perhaps I shouldn't) that 2014 was my best year so far. I got to see my family, met lots of new friends while spending time with old ones, and I had a number of wonderful experiences. I met my wonderful boyfriend and everything seemed perfect. The past year was all but perfect. Coming out of it I kind of say "good riddance".
I definitely learned a lot about myself and traveling by myself a couple of times this year has helped me do a lot of thinking and has put me on the path of loving myself more. Sometimes I find it very difficult to be alone. I get lonesome for people, and when it goes on too long I sometimes get very needy for contact with friends and loved ones. This year I experienced real, moderate anxiety for the first time. It stopped me in my tracks and kicked me when I was down and that was basically how my year started. I have been trying for most of the year to understand my anxiety and learning how to deal with it when it comes on. It has made this year...just hard. On top of school changes, friends coming and going, and just being overwhelmed has made me glad this year is over.
Of course I think there is good in spending time alone and I am still learning how to be my own best friend. That is one of my goals for 2016. I can't say that the year was entirely bad. I met a lot of fantastic new friends this year, some who have helped me grow a lot and realize I need to love myself more and do what I need for ME. I've also gotten to see and reconnect with some friends who I hadn't seen in a while and that always means a lot to me. I've also gotten to know that people come in go in life. Some people are meant to stay in our lives and some aren't. I found out who the people who care for me and who are the ones that don't. I no longer feel the need to waste my time with people who are not going to help me be the best Me I can be. I also learned I much prefer animals, specifically dogs, to people. I've spend many weekends in dog cafes and sometimes its much nicer than hanging out with humans.
I also got to visit 3 new countries, which I traveled to alone. I don't need to travel with someone to have a good time anymore, and it will force me to meet new people and also spend time with myself.
Right now 2016 is very uncertain and there are big changes to come for me. I will be heading back to Canada later this year and that scares the shit out of me. I will have been living in South Korea for 5 years, and now that I've gotten comfortable, it will be really difficult to leave again. I've built a life here and now I must leave it again. I know somethings that I would like to do in Canada, but I also feel like I may leave again after spending a good amount of time in the country. Going back to Canada also means leaving many important people in my life, as well as going back to others. Because of this I feel like 2016 is going to be a really challenging year.
My dream is to see the world and that is what I am going to do. This year I plan to see at least 3 new countries and it wont be the end of my adventure. As much as I miss my friends and family when I am gone, this is something I feel like I want and need to do for myself. Telling me how I should live my life isn't going to change it, really.
I've set a few, kind of vague and some more specific, goals for this year. The first is to keep in touch with people better. I suuuuck at keeping in touch, but its mostly because I hate small talk that goes along with not talking to someone for a long time. I want to stay connected with people and although I think it takes more than one person to stay in touch, maybe if I make more of an effort others will too. More specifically I want to build a better relationship with my younger brother. He is really important to me.
Secondly, I want to learn to be happy with myself, to love myself, my body, and who I am. Not that I dislike myself, but I am very hard on myself, most of the time. I need to learn to let things go for my sanity and for my soul.
My exercise/fitness/health goal(s) of the year is to STAY in shape and tone up my muscles. I want be stronger. I want to eliminate bad things from my diet, stop drinking (with the exception of wine sometimes), and cut back on eating meat and some animal products.
I want to end my time in Korea on a great note. I want to be able to come back anytime want to visit and it be like I never left. I often say things like, " Gosh I'm tired of this place" and "I've been here too long", but I know that there will always be a spot for Korea in my heart.
Welcome to 2016! Here is to a year of learning, growing and great times. Thanks to those who were apart of my last year and I hope you will continue to be in my life for the next year to come!
I really love this post and hope you have an amazing 2016, Hang in there and stay positive :D
ReplyDelete