There's No Way I Was Born to Just Pay Bills and Die.

  Recently I have really been thinking about my future, and have been getting asked about it often too.  When are you going back to Canada/coming home? Are you going to go back to school? Will you continue teaching in Canada? Why are you still in South Korea?   The more people ask me the more frustrated I get.  The simple answer to most of the questions is.. I don't know! No, I still haven't made a plan during my time here in Korea, but who says I have to?   


I've been really thinking about the quote above lately.  I know that is not what I am meant to do on this earth. Some people are perfectly happy with (what I think of as) the standard way of life.  Go to university/graduate school, get a job to have a career, get a house, get married, have kids, go through the motions, retire and eventually die. While I don't judge nor blame anyone for wanting this kind of life, I don't think I need to take all of these steps for my life to be successful and to live my life to the fullest. 

Who says I must have a career? I'm not entirely sure that I would be happy doing the same job for the rest of my life. Currently I am enjoying teaching English. Do I want to do this forever? Nope! But right now it works for my life.  There are so many jobs I want to do that are not based in an office or even in a building. I would love work in a awesome hostel an an awesome expat area of a funky city.  I would love to work on a conservation project to help animals. I would love to get a working visa in Australia or be an au pair in Europe. Do I want to do those forever? No. But if I confine myself to a lame office/desk job where I barely get to see the light of day, I will be miserable. 

I want to do a job where I feel like I'm helping someone. I want to inspire others and I want to be happy while I'm doing it. When I was working in a boys high school last year, I felt much more inspiring than I do now while teaching elementary school.  I think I can handle no more than one more year of this. If it doesn't continue to make me happy, it will have to come to an end, and I will move on to something new.  

This is one of my favourite quotes by Andrew Murphy. And I want to start living by it more.  I am not going to limit myself . I am going to let myself do what I want, and I am not going to let anyone or thing keep me from doing it.  I will not live by anyone's life guidelines about what I "should be" doing.  Telling me I'm doing it wrong will only steer me in an opposite way of where you are trying to push me.  I am 26 years old and I feel like I have so much living to do. I don't think I can do that if I am tied to something.  

To some readers this may seem like a lot of "blah blah blah", but this is my current mindset and feeling about my life. Its best just to accept it and go with it. I encourage others to break down their walls. I encourage other to explore what life and this world has to offer. It all comes down to what you think is most important in your life. Is it the people? Your family, friends, and peers? Is it having a job or success and making lots of money? Is it travelling? Is it your dog? Is it pizza?  Maybe its a combination of all of these things (ESPECIALLY pizza). I've decided that where all of those things are important, sometimes the most important thing has to be me. I think I can't do anything for anybody else if I'm not happy or motivated and am feeling bad about myself and current situation. 

I guess the point of this is basically... I am going to do "me". You do you, and keep it real. Be happy. Live life.  <3  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

29 Things I've Learned in 29 Years

Why I Prefer Travelling Alone (And Why Everyone Should Try It)

I Have Come to LOVE (and crave) Working Out