Hello, Bonjour, Annyeong
Some of you may be thinking, "Hey, don't you already have a blog?!" The previous account became difficult to log into because for when I made the account I had a different one for YouTube, Google, STU mail, and so on. Blogger wanted me to join the accounts but when I didn't it became near impossible to log in each time. So this account is joined with my YouTube account, and I wont have that problem again. If you would like to read some of my previous blogs you can check out my profile, where I have linked the old account.
It has been a while since I've written a blog for many reasons but mainly a mixture of being lazy/busy, which I realize are two completely opposite things! When I'm busy I just don't think about blogging. My Facebook keeps a pictorial blog and although my captions are often brief, you get the point. When I am not busy, sometimes I just can't be bothered to think. I don't really know if anyone still reads these and who they are, but do give me feedback if I should bother posting more. But when I do think of it it clears my head a bit.
It has been a long time since my last entree. I believe it was October of 2013 when I posted last. If you know me, you know that I am still working living in Korea, teaching brats who couldn't care less about English. As I pass the half way mark of my third contract, I have been faced with a big decision.
In the last few months EPIK, the program I came to Korea through, has informed us that they have cut their budget and that meant all high school teachers would not be asked to return to their high school position after their contract finishes. If we choose to renew our contract we must go to an elementary school, or MAYBE a middle school, depending on where. At the beginning of my third contract I was set for this to be my final year in Korea, and to prepare to return to life in Canada. Now I am not so sure.
During the winter I was getting tired of the Korean lifestyle I seem to be leading, and August could not seem to come sooner. . I was fortunate enough to be able to visit Canada during my winter vacation in February and I got to visit some good friend and some (but not all) of my family members. That trip kind of recharged and am back in Korea, loving it more than ever. Now I don't know whether I want to stay in Korea longer, or go back to Canada.
If I stay in Korea, I am giving myself 2 options. The first is to stay with EPIK in Gyeongju and work at an elementary school, but it is honestly my last choice. The second and more exciting choice is to get a private academy job in Seoul. At this point, getting an EPIK in job in Seoul is a hassle and I do not want to re-apply. I am getting a little big tired of Gyeongju, and although I have more Korean friends here now, most of my foreigner friends will be leaving this year. I have more of them up in Seoul and now a family member. I would like to take a stab at living in city life (in the worlds largest city), and get away from the small town.
Seoul is definitely more expensive for many things such as eating out, shopping, cost of living, and I think the transportation is a little higher than the rest of Korea, and when I visit Seoul I do end up spending a lot of money. But I think living and visiting are two very different things. When I visit its a treat that I am giving myself, I don't want to eat Korean food, I want to shop at stores that we don't have in Gyeongju and I seem to a lot of different things while I'm up there. Not to mention the KTX ride one way is almost 50 bucks. But I feel like if I am living there then I wont think of it as a treat and I wont spend the way I normally would when visiting.
Some of the people who are currently working with EPIK will argue,"How can you go from being at such a sure easy job, to an unpredictable and not quite so easy job?" Sometimes hagwons (academies) are not great, and they can let you go when they please, their work conditions and hours aren't great, and they get little to no vacation time. Obviously if I choose to apply to academies in Seoul I will do my research, and not go into a school blindly.
Going back to Canada is obviously the other choice. I miss my family and my friends, and I know I eventually need to go back and start my life. There are so many times I say to myself, "This would be so much easier/more simple if I were in Canada!" But I think I need to save up/ pay back another chunk of cash before I head back and have many more expenses to pay than I have here. I feel like I am missing a lot at home. Regardless of my decision to stay or not, I need to go home and visit.
I honestly feel like I could live in Korea for a long time. It is a great country with exciting people, amazing cutlure, delicious food (and boys hehe), and I love it here. But I need to be sure staying here longer is in my best interest rather than going home.
This has been a lengthy long-time-no-see blog, but hopefully you can get an idea of where my head is at these days. To my family who is reading, I hope you understand if I decide to stay longer. I miss you all so much. I hope this wasn't too long. The next entry I hope will be shorter. Perhaps with a lighter topic. Anyway I must go enjoy the beautiful cherry blossom filled spring day. I got off work early and am going to wander around downtown.
Thanks all for now.
K <3
Thanks all for now.
K <3
Dearest Krissey: You are facing a Big decision that only you can make. It will be a very different lifestyle here for you and of course you realize that.Whatever you decide I wish you much happiness wherever you choose to be, and of course love you forever.'Nan.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ReplyDelete